To really sink sewing into your bones, we’re taking you on a four week journey of projects and learning. This series will teach you the basics of your sewing machine, talk about tools that will help you on your sewing machine, touch on choosing the right fabrics for the job, and more! You’ll come away with three finished projects and the skills (and hopefully confidence!) to make sewing part of your life. This series is great for those who are committed to learning and ready to jump in and those who know the basics but want to really sit down and practice.
Class Time: Sunday, Sept. 10th, 17th, 24th & Oct. 1st 3:00-6:00pm
- Week 1: Intro/Refresh & Pillow case
- Week 2: Zipper pouch/lunch bag
- Weeks 3 and 4: Apron
Skill Level: Newbie & Novice
- How to use a sewing machine (winding a bobbin, threading, sewing)
- Textile selection & preparation
- Seam finishing & topstitching
- Basic pattern layout & cutting
- Zipper insertion
- Light quilting (if desired for zipper lunch bag)
- Bias tape (make & sew)
- Sewing pleats & gathers
- Adding decorative attachments (ribbons, pockets, ric rac, etc.)
Materials: The instructor will send out a specific materials list prior to class. This will include a few yards of fabric, thread, and other small notions. Patterns are included in the class fee.
Tools: Tools (scissors, cutting mat, needles, seam rippers, sewing machines) will be available for use in the shop though supplies are limited, so you are welcome to bring your own as well. The shop will be open for purchases (fabric, thread, etc.) if you'd like to restock.
Instructor: Mary Wahl
**You are registering for ALL weeks when you register.**
PLEASE NOTE: All classes require registration and prepayment. No refunds are offered for classes. You may use your fees for another class with at least 72 hours notice. There is no guarantee that the same class will be available for a reschedule. Cancellations or no shows within the 72 hour window will forfeit their fees entirely. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to cancel and we will help you as best we can!
- Please show up 15 minutes early to get set up. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late you could be considered a no-show and forfeit your class fees.
- Classes may be cancelled due to low attendance. In this situation, a refund will be offered.
- As everyone works at different speeds, there is no guarantee that you will finish a project within the class period. Homework might be given between classes as well. If you are not able to finish within the class period, we will gladly let you use the studio space another day to wrap up your project.